Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First few weeks

8-30 Tires were a little lower than I thought they should be and filled them back up to 40 psi. I do remember not feeling the bouncing at Oleta yesterday and that may be why. I bought 2 tubes at $10 each just in case. I think the Stan's Ghetto Tubeless is the way to go and will probably do around Christmas or Thanksgiving when I bring my bike back to Texas. Did 3.07 miles total, just went to pinheurst, did the first part of the trail and it was really wet. Several trees were down and made riding through impossible. I went slow to keep Jimmy with me and it ended up messing with my normal way of picking my way through with some momentum. At one point, where I usually power over a log and then hit the rear brake as my front wheel clears, this time, I was rolling way too slow and stopped all momentum and racked myself. I missed tons of easy obstacles because I was going so slow. As soon as we were to Pinehurst Rd, I heard a sound coming from Jimmy's bike and heard the rear disc scraping. He said he thought he hit something with it and when I looked, I said no, you're tire is flat. We walked back to the apt from there. Walking in my bike shoes is not a good idea. My big toe was blistered by the time we got back. Total miles to date: 89.53

8-29 Went to oleta again. Did 7.13 miles and took about 55 min. Wasn't too tired. Lost Jimmy and found him back at the truck. Rode Gold Stick, Robinson ridge, stairway to heaven, strangler fig, rock mile, American corps, half pipe. I was able to pass some people on the full suspension geared setups that knew the trails well. They did not seem pleased. Took bike to Jims bicycles where I purchased and got a good idea of how to tighten chain properly. Cleaned bike and lived after ride. I cleaned the bike up and relubed chain. Will probably look to get some grease soon. I helped Jordy with his bike a bit. He had a really difficult time on anything with a grade at Oleta yesterday. I attributed this to being a bit out of shape as he had problems with Pinehurst too. Turns out, he was in the largest chainring up front and something way to high in the rear too. I set him on the small chairing up front and in the middle in the back. He exclaimed it was so much better when he rode later that day at Okeeheelee. At 86.4 miles total now.

8-28 we went to oleta river in Miami and I was able to ride 6.06 miles. Not a ton, but it was humid!!!! I rode strangler fig (expert) and rock mile first. Then it was part of half pipe along the back volunteer trail. Next was American corps, gator bank, and gold stick. I rode gold stick 2x. Finally, I rode area 51, and stairway t
o heaven with some great hills!!!! Then I found Jimmy talking to mike(guy we met on the trail) and headed for the truck. Winded for sure, but lots of fun!!! Had to tighten chain once during the ride. 79.27 miles so far.

8-27 rain or no rain, I was gonna go ride. Sick of being in the apt all week. Left at 5:30 for pinehurst and rode trail once. My seat was too low this time. It was uncomfortable to ride, so I readjusted and all was good again. Stopped once inside trail to check my bag and once at second trailhead. It was really really humid today. Trail took 36 min with 2 stops. I was able to navigate almost all of the root sections that have given me so much trouble before. I rode to okeeheelee and saw Jordy. Gave him the finger an he did the same to me. I rode 11 miles total today at a little over an hour. 73.21 miles total on the bike.

8-26 rain :(

8-25 rain again!!!! Gonna try in the am.

8-24 sadness of rain

8-23 looked to rain all afternoon, so i slept. Jordy slipped out and went to okeeheelee. Nbd. Wanted to take a day off after hard riding day before. Read some about anterior knee pain. Gonna lower my seat a bit to see if it helps, which does make sense. 25-30 degree bend instead of straight. Hopefully I'll get less bounce at higher cadences too.
Looking forward to weekend to convince Jimmy to go to Miami for some faster trails.

8-22 Rode to Pinehurst did 2 laps. Lost Jordy in the first part. Waited 20 min and found out he left. Rode to okeeheelee park for a few miles cooldown. Cyclometer says 13.61 miles for the day. 62.21 miles overall.

8-21 woke up late from oversleeping. Rained in afternoon. No riding today.

8-20 Rode to Pinehurst, did 1 loop testing new app, decided to get full version (Motion X GPS). Lap took about 35-40 min. Im speeding up! Started 2nd lap, was dark in the woods and exited by soccer fields and "large" hill. Rode to okeeheelee and found Jordan, rode with him and ended up with 13 miles on the odometer. 46.8 miles total. Not bad for 5 days of riding and a week of ownership. Goal is 50 miles per week for now. Looking forward to Oleta river with Jordan in the AM in Miami. Took some pics of Pinehurst with new app.
Trail Entrance about 3/4 of a mile south of Forest Hill.
Narrow place in the first 3/4 of a mile into trail, as you can see these trees have been hit a few times. If you can't navigate this, just get off your bike and walk it through, no need to ruin your bars or damage the trees.
Three way split south of the pond/lake area. To the left is a red trail that leads to a log which has always been pretty slick. To the right is a blue trail that is flat and sedate. The center is where the fun happens. Go up the hill, and down two more "large" hills. Be careful to slow down a bit before you get to the bottom or be prepared to fly some.
8-19 looked to rain then nothing. Cleaned up Jimmy's bike. Washed bike and cleaned chain 5x with degreaser. Relubed, aired up tires. His bike will be ready to ride when he gets back in a few days.

8-18 It's 1.6 miles to pinehurst trailhead from the apt stairs. Trail was right at 4 miles. Finished trail at about 7:15, would've done another lap, but I would have ended in the dark. Took about 40 min to do the trail pretty relaxed. Continued to okeeheelee park and rode till I got 10 miles total. 11 miles by the time i was back at the apt. Started 6:30, ended 7:50.-33.8 miles total. I love this bike.

8-16 to 8-17 rain/busy

8-15 Did about 6.8 miles in 55 min. Half trail/half bike path. Trail took up a 45 min of riding. -22.8 miles total

8-14 I rode yesterday about 2.5 hrs 4 miles on trail and probably 8 miles on paved.-16 miles total

8-13 I rode about 4 miles on Friday night before it got too dark. I rode to the park and found a trailhead south of the lake/pond thing to see a three way split. I walked the routes in and found the middle one and left ones (marked red) too difficult on the first day with the new bike. I rode in .5-1.0 miles in the trail and turned around before it got dark. The tires seemed to drag pretty bad on the road, so I pumped them both up to about 40 psi. 4 miles on bike total.

No comments:

Post a Comment