Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trip to Texas, Nicole and the rest of September

9-16 Unfortunately, no ride today. I was pretty busy with work and getting ready to get back  home.  I am hoping to get an early start tomorrow and get on the road bike and ride to and around river legacy. From what I read on the DORBA website, the MTB trail is closed after the rains and flooding last week.

9-17 to 9-19 Crazy busy at home!!! We had Jamie's birthday weekend and getting the house back in order.

9-20 I rode 25 miles at River Legacy in Arlington. I was surprised the trail was open after the rain that had flooded the area the previous week. The ground was tacky for the most part. Most of the trail was flat and fast. There were a few sections that had some hills and drops. Some of these were too muddy to ride or were completely under water. I rode the off road trail twice for 13 miles. Then, I went to the far end of the paved trail and back for another 12 miles. I pushed hard and kept my cadence above 100 for 3 min at a time. It was lots of fun. I was left exhausted in the evening after I cleaned up and ate. 

9-21 to 9-26 No rides. I worked a ton instead and had some rain come down which made trails closed over the weekend. Jamie and I went to Brownwood on Sunday.

9-27 finally got to go to Northshore in Grapevine, TX. Wow! The trail is completely different from years ago when I rode it. It seems a lot more technical than I remember on the west side towards twin coves. I began at Rockledge and kept a good pace for the first 6 miles. The next 4.5 were slow going with lots of climbs that didn't look possible from the bottom. I don't see how this trail could be done from a single speed unless it was geared really low. I wish I was on a 29er because it seems easier to go down hills and drops on instead of my 26. I fell over the handlebars several times. I called Jamie and had her pick me up at Twin Coves because I had told her I'd only be riding 2.5 hours. Next time, I'll plan for being out here longer and be ready for the tougher climbs. Also I will go to Murrell Park and start from there instead of Rockledge, so I won't be paying to enter the park or a parking fee.

9-28 to 9-29 I came back to FL to be greeted by Tropical Storm Nicole. It was too rainy to ride the trails.

9-30 I rode Pinehurst for a total of 16 miles total for the day. 3 ass kicking laps for 12.3 off-road. I'm beat. I weighed myself before I left and when I got back. Apparently, I can sweat 3.4 lbs off in 2 hrs. Now I'm super hungry and headed to the store to get some food and put some pounds on again.  

When i was home I checked Motion-X GPS data vs my bike computer and it consistently showed less miles than my computer. At River Legacy, I compared my mileage vs the markers on the trail. My computer was right on, even a little low, so I think that the Motion-X app is great for basic following a path or keeping track of where you were, but for bicycling I don't think it samples as many times as it should.  I think it may be a way to keep the battery from being drained as quickly. The paths viewed after the ride looks to straighten out some turns and curves my wheels don't miss.

Also, I am way more confident on downhills with a 29er than a 26. I have had no feelings like I would go over my bars like I actually was doing in Texas.  I can't wait to ride my Monocog in Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment